Ice makers are convenient features of modern refrigerators. You don’t need to muck around filling up ice trays and risk running out of ice when you need it. But sometimes they can stop working and need to be repaired.
In this guide, we give you step-by-step instructions for what to do so you can get your Whirlpool ice maker working again ASAP.
This guide covers all major Whirlpool refrigerator models, including:
Step 1 – Reset your ice maker
The first step when your ice maker stops working is to reset it. Sometimes a simple reset can get it working again without the need to inspect any internal components. To reset the ice maker in your Whirlpool refrigerator you simply need to:
- Find the reset button on the control pad.
- Press it down until you hear a beep. Once you hear the beep, stop pressing the button.
- Your ice maker should be reset. Check if the problem is solved. If not, move on to Step 2.
Step 2 – Check the ice maker is installed correctly
If you’ve recently purchased your Whirlpool refrigerator and the ice maker has stopped working, it may be due to the ice maker not being set up correctly. Even if you have been using it for a while, a component within the ice maker unit may have become loose.
Here’s how to make sure the ice maker is installed correctly:
1. Find the refrigerator user manual and turn to the ice maker section.
2. Use the diagram of the ice maker in the manual to check if each component is installed correctly. The main components to check are the hoses, valves, and ice trays. If any component is loose or otherwise incorrectly installed, it needs to be installed correctly. If you’re not sure how to do this, you need to get a technician to do it for you.
3. If you don’t find any problems with the installation of the ice maker unit, move on to Step 3. If you have repaired or reinstalled any components, reset your ice maker and then check if the problem is solved. If not, move on to Step 3.
Step 3 – Check the temperature
The next step is to make sure the temperature is set correctly. If your freezer is set above 0 degrees Fahrenheit, it won’t be cold enough for your ice maker to make ice.
Here’s how to make sure the temperature is set correctly:
1. Locate the thermostat.
2. Check the temperature. It needs to be set at 0 or below degrees Fahrenheit. If not, adjust it. If the temperature is set correctly you can move on to Step 4.
3. Once the temperature is adjusted, close the freezer door. After a couple of hours, reset the ice maker before checking if it can now make ice properly. If not, move on to Step 4.
Step 4 – Change the water filter
Another easy fix to get your Whirlpool ice maker working again is to change the water filter. The filter needs to be replaced every 6 months. When it isn’t replaced, it can become defective and prevent water from getting to the ice maker.
To replace the water filter, you need to:
1. Locate the water filter.
2. Remove the old one.
3. Install the new one.
4. Reset your ice maker and check back later to see if it’s working again. If not, move on to Step 5.
Step 5 – Check the water supply line and valves
The next step is to check the water supply line that’s connected to your ice maker. If the hose becomes blocked, water will be prevented from getting to your ice maker. The hose also has an electronic inlet valve that opens and closes to let water in. If the valve becomes defective, your ice maker will stop working.
To check the water supply line and inlet valves, you need to:
- Check the line for any damage or if it has become bent. If bent, realign it and then check if the ice maker starts working again. If the line is damaged, it will need to be replaced.
- If the water line is working correctly or if repairing it doesn’t solve the problem, the next step is to test the water inlet valve.
- To test the water inlet valve, start by turning the refrigerator’s power and water off.
- Next, locate the valve and test it with a multimeter for continuity.
- If the valve has no continuity, replace it. If it does have continuity, it’s working fine.
- Once the valve is replaced, reset your ice maker and test if it can now make ice correctly. If not, move on to Step 6.
Step 6 – Test the ice maker motor
The next step is to test the ice maker motor. Your ice maker unit has a motor that helps turn the trays around when the ice is ready. If the motor becomes faulty, your Whirlpool ice maker will stop making ice.
Here’s how to test the ice maker motor:
1. Switch the power and water to your appliance off.
2. Locate the ice maker motor and test it with a multimeter for continuity.
3. If the motor has no continuity, replace it. If it does have continuity, it’s working fine and you can move on Step 7.
4. Once replaced, reset your ice maker and test if it can now make ice correctly. If not, move on to Step 7.
Step 7 – Test the door switch
The final step is to test the door switch. The door switch monitors when the door opens and closes. If it falsely believes the door is open, it can hinder the operation of your ice maker.
Here’s how to test the door switch:
1. Switch the power and water to your appliance off.
2. Locate the door switch and test it with a multimeter for continuity.
3. If the valve has no continuity, replace it. If it does have continuity, it’s working correctly. At this point, you’ll need to get a technician to come and inspect your refrigerator.
4. Once replaced, reset your ice maker and test if it can now make ice correctly. If not, you’ll need to get a technician to come and inspect your refrigerator.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.