KitchenAid is a well-regarded brand that manufactures a range of home appliances, including refrigerators. But even high-quality products can sometimes get damaged and need to be repaired. One of the most common problems people have with their refrigerators is when leaks develop.
Leaks are particularly annoying, as they make a mess on your kitchen floor and can damage the flooring material. That’s why we’ve put together this guide so you can go through all of the main causes and, when you find the cause, fix it.
This guide is applicable to most models of KitchenAid refrigerators, including:
The first component to check is the defrost drain. Sometimes the drain can get blocked up by ice or loose debris in your fridge. When this happens, it causes the defrosted water to leak out of your fridge instead of going down the drain.
The defrost drain is really easy to check; all you need to do is:
- Find the drain at the bottom of your fridge.
- Check if it is blocked up by trying to pour hot water down it and watching if it comes out the other end without any trouble.
- If it does have a blockage, turn the fridge off, let it defrost, and use a piece of wire to loosen any debris stuck in the drain.
- Once thawed and cleaned out, turn the fridge back on and check after 24 hours if the leak has stopped.
Water Filter Head
If the leak is still happening or if the drain was not blocked, the next component to check is the water filter head. Sometimes water filter heads can get cracks in them, which results in your refrigerator leaking water out through the bottom of it.
Follow the following steps to check it:
- Locate the water filter head in your refrigerator.
- Give the filter head and the seals a good inspection to look for any cracks or general wear and tear. If they are in good condition, then they are not the cause of the leak, and you can move on to checking the next component.
- If you find any damage, then the water filter housing needs to be replaced.
Water Inlet Valve
Another common cause of refrigerators leaking water is when the water inlet valve becomes faulty or gets a crack in it. When this happens, the valve won’t be able to supply water to the ice maker and dispenser.
To check the water inlet valve, you need to:
- Turn your refrigerator off at the wall, and then pull the refrigerator out so you can access the back of it.
- Remove the lower panel and locate the water inlet valve.
- Inspect the valve for any cracks and if it is properly connected to the water supply pipe.
- If you find something wrong with it, you’ll need to replace it. If it is working correctly, then move on to the next component to check.
The next part to check is the water tank. Sometimes they can get leaks in them, which causes water to leak out of the refrigerator.
Checking the water tank is very easy; all you have to do is:
- Turn the refrigerator off at the wall.
- Locate the water tank (in most KitchenAid models, it will be in the back of the fridge behind a plastic cover).
- Once located, check it for any cracks that might be causing a leak.
- If you find any cracks, the water tank will need to be replaced. If there are no cracks, then it is not the cause of the problem.
The next component to check is the drain pan. If you have a self-defrosting refrigerator, there will be a drain pan underneath the fridge that captures water out of your fridge when it defrosts. The water evaporates by itself because of the warm air underneath the fridge. Sometimes the drain pan can get a crack in it, and this causes a leak to occur.
You can check the drain pan easily by:
- Turning off your refrigerator, moving it out from the wall, and then removing the back panel.
- Check the drain pan to see if there are any leaks in it.
- If you find any leaks, then you will need to replace the drain. If there are no leaks, then the drain pan is working correctly.
The water filter is the last component to check out. They should be replaced regularly in your refrigerator anyway, but sometimes they can wear out before the recommended replacement date.
To check the water filter you need to:
- Switch the refrigerator off at the wall.
- Locate the water filter and then remove it from the housing.
- Check if you can put it back in easily and that it stays in place correctly.
- If it doesn’t stay in place correctly, this is a sign it needs to be replaced. If the water filter stays in place correctly, then it is working fine.