It goes without saying that Miami, Florida is a popular vacation destination for thousands of tourists every single year. But what about the people who are residents of this tropical city? If you live in Miami, but can’t afford a family vacation or romantic getaway this year, there is more than one way to take advantage of all the amazing things happening right in your own backyard. In this post, we will introduce you to nine fun things you can do to enjoy the fullest staycation in Miami.
- Dine on Authentic Cuban Cuisine at The World-Famous Versailles Restaurant: Although the name of the restaurant is “Versailles”, this joint really knows how to serve up some mean Cuban food. If you want the most authentic Cuban cuisine in the state, you have to try out Versailles. Enjoy some incredible, mouth-watering toasted Cuban sandwiches along with some potent Cuban coffee. If you are in the mood for something sweeter, stroll over to the next door bakery (which is still part of Versailles) for Cuban ice cream, key lime pie, and flan.
- Sip Cocktails at The Swanky Sugar Rooftop Bar: If you feel like getting all dolled up and rubbing elbows with some of the classiest elites of Miami, you have to spend an evening at Sugar. This decadent rooftop bar boasts unparalleled views of the city. And what exactly is it that gives this rooftop bar a competitive edge over other rooftop bars in Miami? It’s 40 stories high, making it the tallest building in the city. Sugar offers patrons an eclectic collection of various Asian cocktails and a garden-themed ambiance, cozily tucked away in secluded fashion. If cocktail hour or a late night really isn’t your style, visit Sugar any day between Thursday through Sunday for a boozy brunch.
- Shop Around Lincoln Road Mall: What Fifth Avenue is to New York, Lincoln Road Mall is to Miami. You could easily spend the entire afternoon window shopping, people watching, and sipping coffee at one of the many outdoor cafes at this shopping center. There are also plenty of cultural attractions at Lincoln Road Mall, including the stately Colony Theater where you can catch a show.
- Swim Like a Royal at Venetian Pool: It is considered one of the most beautiful and luxurious pools in the world and is refilled with fresh, clean water every single night for an optimal swimming experience. This isn’t your average swimming hole; it has everything you could imagine including stone bridges, waterfalls, Italian architecture, and tropical palm trees. Grab your bikini or swim trunks and spend the day lounging around the pool before taking a refreshing dip in its unbelievably clean waters.
- Eat Mind-Blowing Cinnamon Rolls at Knaus Berry Farm:You haven’t really experienced amazing cinnamon rolls until you try the best cinnamon rolls in the world and those are found at Knaus Berry Farm. When you first drive up to the farm, you’ll be greeted by a scenic display of colorful fruit orchards. Once inside, beeline it straight to the cinnamon rolls before you try anything else. After grabbing a few rolls to stay or to-go, browse the menu for other sweet, delectable treats. Knaus Berry Farm has some out-of-this world strawberry milkshakes and pineapple upside-down cake. You can even pick your own strawberries from the Knaus Berry Farm fields and put them in your milkshake!
- Become an Explorer on Jungle Island: Mere minutes from downtown Miami is the famed Jungle Island, formerly known as Parrot Jungle. Located on Watson Island, Jungle Island is the perfect attraction for adventurous types and people with children who feel like getting up to a bit of exploration. The attraction has even been visited by Winston Churchill in the 40’s! There is plenty of exciting wildlife to see on the island and after a couple hours of touring the area, treat yourself to a live show filled with interesting animals and other incredible entertainment.
- Bike or Cruise in Your Car Down Ocean Drive: A great laid-back activity is cruising down Ocean Drive with the top down (or the windows down if you don’t have a convertible). If you feel like getting a little exercise out of it, grab some bikes and peddle your way down the scenic road. With historical monuments, pastel colored art deco buildings, and sandy white beaches, Ocean Drive promises to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing experiences of your life.
- Be a Beach Bum on Miami Beach: A staycation would not be a staycation without dedicating a chunk of your day to lounging around on the iconic Miami Beach. Pack a cooler of sandwiches and a few cold beers and pitch a tent on the sandy shores. The beach boasts some pristine views of the crystal clear blue water and the sounds of the waves hitting the shore will surely provide you with a hefty dose of serenity. If you’re going with friends and family, bring some gear to play with like a volleyball, kite, or any other beach-appropriate material. Otherwise, Miami Beach is an ideal place to lay out, listen to some tunes on your headphones, or catch up on a good book.
- Stroll Around the Delightfully Strange Art Deco District:After a leisurely, sunny afternoon getting gorgeously tanned on Miami beach, spend the evening wandering around the famous Art Deco District. Once you hit the neighborhood, you’ll feel as though you’ve been transported to the 1930’s. Grab a late lunch or early dinner at one of the many vibrant outdoor restaurants and don’t forget to pose for a selfie in front of one of the pastel colored art deco building or colorful neon signs. And if you really want an authentic experience of Miami nightlife, you will find it in the Art Deco District.
Looking for more memorable and exciting things to do in Miami? Don’t hesitate to reach out to us today or keep reading our blog to learn more about the events and attractions taking place in this beloved Southern city.